C-Media Cards

Kyle Vanditmars kylevan at telus.net
Sun Jan 21 19:27:54 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 10:25 -0500, G Williams Webmaster Ubuntuvoice.com
wrote:

> Once I get one system up, cloning will not be hard I suppose. I was
> thinking about the USB cards because they are around $50 and the
> fidelity is supposed to good on them, especially the creative labs ones.
> They should be fairly backwards compatible as well, meaning any 'hunk of
> junk' machine that I can get my hands on that runs dapper fairly well,
> could be a candidate. Cost about $350-400 per machine.
>
> One of the things I have to do is redundancy, nervous bridezillas and
> party organizers insist on it. So, here I am with two machines, one
> powered down, in case. Why put two cards in the machine thats just
> there? Why not just transfer the USB cards over with the cables
> attached, and fire up the back up if something goes wonky?

I don't know exactly what your requirements are, but I have a
Silverstone EB-01 that I personally use when my laptop is at my desk. It
sounds great through my Grado SR-80s, and uses the Burr-Brown PCM2702
DAC. Only does RCA stereo out, but it doesn't sound like you're going to
need positional audio for a dance.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product-audio.htm

Here's a pic of my current set-up.
http://www3.telus.net/montypython/soundsetup.jpg

Apparently the Canadian distributor for Silverstone doesn't actually
sell the unit in Canada, so I got mine from NewEgg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?SrchInDesc=eb-01&Page=1&N=0&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&Description=SilverStone&Ntk=all

I actually had a helluva time trying to get a Creative SBLive USB
working, but that may have been inexperience with configuring ALSA.