Ubuntu vs Kubuntu

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 16:53:56 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 11:28 -0500, Maurice Murphy wrote:
> For me, however, I believe we should leave KDE to others.
> Why not stick with Ubuntu and make it even better than it is?
> IMHO this would be a more efficient use of resources.

I don't know that it's a matter of "leaving these to others" so much as
it is equally supporting and appearing to support equally the good work
we've already doing: There are *right now* multiple "official" flavours
of Ubuntu (gnome-based Ubuntu, kubuntu, edubuntu, xubuntu), each
targeted at a difference user community or market segment or problem
space. We're all here, and we all have different preferences, different
ways of wanting to use our computers, different computers, different
capabilities.

That's one of things I most like about Ubuntu, this sort of "big tent"
inclusive approach: Let's support the dominant display environments,
plus a lighter-weight one for older systems (very financially and
environmentally sensitive, that), plus a special one just for education
(to level the playing field world wide and get everyone who wants to be
there into the digital age).

The problem is that Kubuntu kind of seems to stick out there like a
thumb - it's one the digits, it's on the same hand as the others, but it
looks different (and I don't mean in the DE sense, they all look
different from that perspective). And the appearance of differences
raises questions in people's minds, unfortunately.

pww