C-Media Cards

G Williams Webmaster Ubuntuvoice.com info at ubuntuvoice.com
Sun Jan 21 15:25:45 UTC 2007

Alfred: Get the batmobile ready will ya? Thanks man. Make sure its a
*full tank* this time ok?

Good suggestion and something I will look into. I have had C-media cards
before and they probably would work for what I will call my 'production'
machines. Part of the Colonel Saunders secret recipe for my business is
to use Ubuntu is to have stable linux based machines to play music at
weddings and bar mitzvahs near you.

Once I get one system up, cloning will not be hard I suppose. I was
thinking about the USB cards because they are around $50 and the
fidelity is supposed to good on them, especially the creative labs ones.
They should be fairly backwards compatible as well, meaning any 'hunk of
junk' machine that I can get my hands on that runs dapper fairly well,
could be a candidate. Cost about $350-400 per machine.

One of the things I have to do is redundancy, nervous bridezillas and
party organizers insist on it. So, here I am with two machines, one
powered down, in case. Why put two cards in the machine thats just
there? Why not just transfer the USB cards over with the cables
attached, and fire up the back up if something goes wonky?

At your price, it might be an idea to keep them around but if I remember
them right the fidelity (signal to noise) wasn't that great on them.
Fine for probono work, not so good when or if I hook up to a mega watt
system to shake the earth.

I have time Alfred, but I truly appreciate the suggestion. Hadn't
thought of them. Perhaps I am just stubborn as well. I started thinking
Windows and bought this $300 xfi card which is not supported by Linux
yet. Apparently soon, Q2 or Q3 this year. Fine, thats what prompted the
move. Not a big worry, I was thinking a low end soundblaster for now,
and when the XFI works the low end card becomes the audition channel.

I think the multichannel maybe outputs for speakers as in 3.1 4.1 5.1
speaker sets and so on. Thats a different thing, the multichannel I was
talking about has both inputs and outputs and is designed to work with a
DAW like Ardour.

I think I had a nosebleed last time I booted over Ardour. I got Audacity
to work, and well, went back to the familiar. I will probably end up
mastering stuff in Ardour, which should be simple enough to do. Bloody
non linear editing! I used to work with LPs, there is only so much a guy
can do to keep up!

Alfred, one thing I been meaning to mention, did you shrink my utility
belt in the wash? Dang man, the bat hooks are digging into uncomfortable
places!

Linux drivers are fine, but they are one consideration when it comes to
hardware. If I was doing dances at the legion playing the entire Stompin
Tom collection, he sounds better when the speakers rattle a bit. AC/DC
is another consideration and so on.

There may be an application for your thing yet. I may build systems for
bars that want music on their patio, telephone answering systems, and so
on. Fine there. Have a bat beer Alfred on me, and thanks!

Gord