Suggestion for multi-function printer/scanner was Re: TWO QUESTIONS

G Williams Webmaster Ubuntuvoice.com info at ubuntuvoice.com
Sun Jan 21 04:31:36 UTC 2007

F. Rodriguez wrote:
> That's why I mentioned linuxprinting.org - to be checked *before*
> buying any printer. Specifically:
> http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi Is indicates your printer being "mostly" supported:
> http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1018

Thanks for your wisdom.

But lets be clear. I bought the printer as a windows printer.   I did
check the hardware list and it says if you read it,  that its supported
*somewhat* in edgy not in Dapper.  Leads me to my comment about I really
don't need printer full time and why a non elegant workaround suits me
fine.

I installed the cups driver and its detected in Dapper now and runs via
samba from my wife's windows machine.

I think your confusing me for the person who wrote the original
comment.   I was just throwing out a work around and some opinions.    I
am checking hardware compatibility quite a bit more for sound recording
and the like.

The good thing to note is that most of the older hardware works.   I
mean for me that would mean a multichannel audio card that someone is
practically giving away on Ebay or a couple of soundblasters.

I learned about the hardware compatibility thing when I decided my
efforts were going to be mostly in Linux so I dual booted with windows
until I could test out my hardware.   The first problem was the ATI
driver.   I felt like someone had turned out the lights.   Finally got
that going,   then messed around with ubuntu,  kubuntu,  xubuntu.

I was even considering other distros at one point.   Heck,  I did not
want to compile kernels for realtime or latency.   It turns out if your
running a lot of live effects and multi channel,  yeah,  well fine.
Otherwise the little projects I run,   just fine using audacity and some
plugins.

The point I am getting to is consider not only the hardware but the
advice.    I could be still searching to figure out what ALSA supports
and does not.   Some of the stuff there is a little obtuse and requires
interpretation.    You end up needing help for the help you just got.
Speak English or whatever it is you speak,   forget geek for a moment
please.

I checked out the hardware compatibility.   For most of the stuff I am
interested in Linux does just fine.   It burns CDs,  my scanner is
working,  I got the printer to run - somehow,  but mostly I know that I
can get a $40 soundblaster and start recording with it - should I have
the work.   In the meantime my USB headset works well enough for testing
and I don't need to hook up my sound board or my mics just yet.

I am toying with using quality USB soundcards that look like pen drives
in place of a multichannel card.   For playing live I intend to get a
couple of cheap used computers,   and should one go dark on me,   give
up,   I pull the sound cards from it,  fire up my back up machine and
leave my wires in place on the soundboard.   I haven't come to a final
conclusion,   but seems worth a try.

So the first thing I did was check hardware,   and its the reason I
decided on linux.    I can run sound for Dj work for far less than what
the applications cost me in Windows.  (Mixmeister $299 USD)   My
soundblaster xfi that I ordered with the main computer I use,   my Dell,
will probably have support by April or so they are saying.   Since I am
not running my machines for live work yet,   I am keeping an eye on the
situation.

When ubuntustudio comes out,   I will probably have made my choices.
Your right though.   You should know your options.