Suggestion for multi-function printer/scanner was Re: TWO QUESTIONS

F. Rodriguez Fabian at FabianRodriguez.com
Sun Jan 21 03:08:32 UTC 2007

G Williams Webmaster Ubuntuvoice.com wrote:
> I have an HP laser which isn't supported by Dapper.   Similarly I went
> to the various sites trying to get cups to work.   Allegedly it works
> in edgy (laserjet 1018)  I think I got it to print once.
That's why I mentioned linuxprinting.org - to be checked *before* buying
any printer. Specifically:
http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

Is indicates your printer being "mostly" supported:
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1018

Unfortunately very old printers some time have better support, sometimes
they don't. Most probably dictated by "offer & demand" or "the
market"whatever that means.
> So yeah,  hardware will always be an issue until manufacturers decide
> they want to finally kill their relationships with Bill and have an
> open and honest one with the public.

Or until they see profit opportunities... low-end printers will almost
always have poor support for Linux (until the Linux Desktop wins :). For
example HPLIP has excellent support for all high-end network printers...
but most dirt-cheap inkjets dating some years don't necesarily fit there.

As I said, always check *before*. :(

Cheers,

F.