Ubuntu vs Kubuntu

Maurice Murphy m1625 at rogers.com
Sat Jan 20 14:40:54 UTC 2007

I'm a recent Ubuntu convert from Windows MCE.  I have no reason to
return to Windows XP, vista, whatever!

Here's my review of Ubuntu after about one month of use.  And yes, I
really like the Gnome interface.  It's so clean, attractive and simple.
Here's my review:

*UBUNTU REVIEW*

*As of: 19. Jan. 2007*

_*THINGS THAT WORK WELL FOR ME*_

*WEB BROWSER -- FIREFOX*

*EMAIL -- THUNDERBIRD or EVOLUTION*

*OFFICE -- OPEN OFFICE DATABASE*

*OFFICE -- OPEN OFFICE PRESENTATIONS*

*OFFICE -- OPEN OFFICE SPREADSHEETS*

*OFFICE -- OPEN OFFICE WORD PROCESSOR*

*ADOBE ACROBAT READER*

*ABILITY TO READ/WRITE WINDOWS FILES -- LOCALLY AND OVER LOCAL AREA NETWORK*

*CD/DVD WRITER*

*CD/DVD PLAYER (MUSIC AND VIDEO) -- AMAROK AND TOTEM*

*TV -- WITH ADDED HAUPPAUGE TV ADAPTER*

*PHOTO EDITOR AND MANAGER -- F-SPOT*

*GRAPHIC/PHOTO EDITOR -- THE GIMP (SIMILAR TO PAINT SHOP PRO)*

*WEB PAGE EDITOR -- NVU (SIMILAR TO FRONT PAGE)*

*FOUR OR MORE PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES (ECLIPSE, MONO, QT3, PYTHON, ETC.)*

*MYSQL DATABASE SERVER*

*SKYPE (NO VIDEO)*

*EKIGA SOFTPHONE (INTERNET PHONE)*

*GAIM -- INTERNET MESSENGER (LIKE WINDOWS MESSENGER)*

*MANY COMPUTER GAMES*

*SAMSUNG ML2150 PRINTER*

*EPSON STYLUS COLOR 800 PRINTER*

_*THINGS THAT DON'T WORK FOR ME*_

*DELL PHOTO 964 MULTIFUNCTION PRINTER/SCANNER/COPIER/FAX*

*LOGITECH FUSION WEB CAM
*

*I hope this helps,
*