Ubuntu vs Kubuntu

G Williams Webmaster Ubuntuvoice.com info at ubuntuvoice.com
Sat Jan 20 02:55:19 UTC 2007

Kde does look more attractive to the newbie.   It looks for some reason
a bit more like Windows than Gnome does,   at least out of the box and
there are things about it that appear to be a better deal.  I think its
the fonts and the layouts.

Lately though with a purpose in mind I have found Gnome to have as much
eye candy (go ahead make it look like Windows)  but more under the hood
when it comes to applications.   KDE comes with a lot of stuff,  but as
far as stability goes Ubuntu at least is not a distribution that
supports it perhaps like Knoppix does.    For what I was running it
for,  it just does not remain stable and the multimedia applications I
use Linux for now just aren't anything to write home about in KDE.

I suppose I am somewhat of a qualified opinion.   Tried running edgy,
tried running xubuntu,   tried this and that.   Dapper is stable and
ubuntu has Gnome not KDE.

I know how you feel having run everything from Redhat to Mandrake (not
Mandriva)  to Gentoo,   to Caldera ( I know ewww those guys!)  looking
for something that felt like home.

Best advice decide whether you want to learn a *new* OS,  get the stable
version,   and get the distro (if its linux)  that suits your needs.
The developers always have a preference and its usually for what works
and its really their choice as to what they want to work on,   so its
not your wish list,  its theirs.

It would mean your either going to develop your own flavour and make it
stable or head back to the familiar windows and pay pay pay the price.

Its never comfortable to learn or adopt something new.   The final and
best piece of advice I can give is give it time and make sure you have a
copy around of something that works for you.

I didn't and probably to some extent,   still don't like the feel of
Gnome that much.   However,   having hit my head against the wall enough
times,  the trade off is fine with me.   I will just deal with
aesthetics by sucking it up or  making it into something that doesn't suck.

Hope it helps.