Partitions

Borden Rhodes dominussuus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 23:06:19 UTC 2007

'Evening, Preston,

In my experience, a full Ubuntu setup on my 40G laptop only takes about 7G
and I have everything I could ever need (Blender, Gimp, Scribus, OO.org,
Enemy Territory, Google Earth (although that's in my home directory in a
separate partition), Eclipse, Bluefish, Evolution, Thunderbird, Celestia....
you get the idea).  Put another way, the complete Debian distro with all of
the packages in the repositories comfortably fits on two 4G DVDs (okay,
they're compressed a little, but you get the idea).

My point is that I don't really see any reason why you would have to go much
over 10G for your root partition.  As a general rule of thumb, the material
I've read suggests having a swap partition at least as big as your RAM (but
if you have more than 512M of RAM then you shouldn't need much swap).

I would then argue in favour of dumping the remaining available hard drive
space to your user account partition(s) so that way you have lots of room
for (il)legally downloaded music and movies - not that I condone that sort
of thing.

Borden