SOME PRAISE AND SUGGESTIONS

Andrew Hunter andy.hunter at rogers.com
Tue Jan 16 18:03:14 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 10:52, Maurice Murphy wrote:
> I must admit that I am a Debian Linux addict.  I have spent much time
> with Xandros Professional as a lay beta tester.  Unfortunately, Xandros
> was not too happy on my HP Media box, so I returned to Ubuntu for a
> second look.
>
> I'm impressed!  I now use Ubuntu as my primary operating system.  I only
> revert to XP to tweak some Visual Basic apps. that I built as a
> volunteer for a couple of charitable organizations.
>
> Again, I really like Ubuntu, but I do have some suggestions for
> improvement:
>
> 1.  Read/Write ability for ntsf disks/partitions without tweaking would
> be great.

When NTFS-3G hits feisty that should be possible OOTB or at least an apt-get
install away.

> 2.  More detailed help needed for the installation of network printers.
> It took me some time to get everything working.  The Xandros Printer
> Wizard is something worth looking at;

I find the Kubuntu Printer wizard very useful, other than some strange bugs,
works fine. I am not sure if Gnome has the same thing.

> 3.  Could not Gimp Help be loaded automatically with the Gimp?  I want
> to use the Gimp, but this would be made a lot easier if the Help file
> was readily available.

It is proably in the Recomends field of the package. With Feisty, recomends
will be installed by default.

> 4.  An ability to import Thunderbird addresses and messages from the XP
> version would be really nice to have.  I'm not a great fan of
> Evolution.  I prefer Thunderbird with the Lightning extension for
> calendars, etc.
>
> 5.  Small bug:  if you don't shut down Skype manually before a restart,
> you end up with a Skype crash, which also negates any selected Screensaver.

Skype is third party (and closed source I think), and hense not supported by
ubuntu. Consider filling a bug with them.

> I'm still looking for a Ubuntu friendly replacement for Visual Basic
> that does not involve a massive language learning effort.  I will be 82
> this year!
>
> Once again, I'm very happy, very happy, very happy with Ubuntu!
> Besides, I really like the philosophy that drives its development.

Glad you have like what you found.

> Take care all.  Happy and healthy 2007!

Thanks,

Andrew