SOME PRAISE AND SUGGESTIONS

Maurice Murphy m1625 at rogers.com
Tue Jan 16 15:52:04 UTC 2007

I must admit that I am a Debian Linux addict.  I have spent much time
with Xandros Professional as a lay beta tester.  Unfortunately, Xandros
was not too happy on my HP Media box, so I returned to Ubuntu for a
second look.

I'm impressed!  I now use Ubuntu as my primary operating system.  I only
revert to XP to tweak some Visual Basic apps. that I built as a
volunteer for a couple of charitable organizations.

Again, I really like Ubuntu, but I do have some suggestions for improvement:

1.  Read/Write ability for ntsf disks/partitions without tweaking would
be great.

2.  More detailed help needed for the installation of network printers.
It took me some time to get everything working.  The Xandros Printer
Wizard is something worth looking at;

3.  Could not Gimp Help be loaded automatically with the Gimp?  I want
to use the Gimp, but this would be made a lot easier if the Help file
was readily available.

4.  An ability to import Thunderbird addresses and messages from the XP
version would be really nice to have.  I'm not a great fan of
Evolution.  I prefer Thunderbird with the Lightning extension for
calendars, etc.

5.  Small bug:  if you don't shut down Skype manually before a restart,
you end up with a Skype crash, which also negates any selected Screensaver.

I'm still looking for a Ubuntu friendly replacement for Visual Basic
that does not involve a massive language learning effort.  I will be 82
this year!

Once again, I'm very happy, very happy, very happy with Ubuntu!
Besides, I really like the philosophy that drives its development.

Take care all.  Happy and healthy 2007!