anthy

R. Wood au516 at freenet.carleton.ca
Mon Jan 15 03:36:15 UTC 2007

Allegedly, on Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 08:47:32PM -0500, Andrew Hunter stated:
> On Sunday 14 January 2007 19:27, Don and/or Mila Trombley wrote:
> > R. Wood wrote:
> > > Allegedly, on Sun, Jan 14, 2007, Don and/or Mila Trombley stated:
> > >
> > > Type this at a prompt:
> > >  apt-cache show anthy
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Raymond
> >
> > Thanks. I wonder if the same command sequence would work for all
> > files, and/or commands? It seems to be very infoormative :-P !
>
> apt-cache does not work for all _files_, but for any package (and all
> the files installed by Xubuntu are packaged.

Keyword searches of package descriptions can be done also, e.g.:
   apt-cache search anthy

To list available packages, I also often do:
  dpkg -l anthy
or
  dpkg -l anthy*
or
  dpkg -l *anthy*

To list the files a package contains:
  dpkg -L thepackagename

To find out what package a file belongs to:
  dpkg -S /path/to/filename

I use these commands all the time, in both Ubuntu and Debian.

> If it is a command from the comand line, man <the command> usually has
> very useful information.

For fun try
   man man
:-)

Have Fun with GNU/Linux,
Raymond
- --
"Be Nice, or Leave - By Order of the Management"
(Sign above door, Black Sheep Inn, Wakefield)
GPG Fingerprint: 2E4D 8605 DD48 E80F F893  1C02 B65D 86D9 3B3C 0E03
Encrypted E-mail Preferred  |  http://www.yeeguy.com/freefall/
Bush-whacked 2004! Try to relax and enjoy the Chaos :-)  --^