Ubuntu Toronto Meeting Processes

Andrew Hunter andy.hunter at rogers.com
Mon Jan 15 01:55:09 UTC 2007

On Sunday 14 January 2007 15:28, Patrick I wrote:
> I fail to understand this obsessive hatred towards laptaps at an OS
> meeting, Even Evan  feels the need to set down the rules about them
> regardless that has never been to a Ubuntu Toronto meeting.

I believe the intent is not to discourage the use of laptops per say, but
limit them to _on-topic_ items during presentations (ie. reseach, recording
meeting notes, etc). Why bother coming to the meeting if all you are going to
do is read mail and surf, you can of course, leave and then come back when
you have finished.

> This is a meeting about an Operating System folks and not even one which
> any of us has a hand in creating.  People come to the meeting for many
> reasons. Some have technical issues which they need solved and for others
> discovery of new aspects of the OS by seeing what other people are doing
> with their system.

Unless I am mistaken, that has been accounted for in the agenda.

> When a few of us were at the FOSS at YorkU a couple of months back
> promoting Ubuntu,  laptops were everywhere and encouraged. Attendees were
> given wireless access to the YorkU network.
>
> The Linux Caffe is the same - free wireless - it's there it's gonna be
> used. In consideration of the music, the loud fans, the 15 people at the
> Toronto Wireless Society meeting 3 feet away from us at the last meeting,
> talking over open laptops was least problem facing anybody trying to get
> their point across and I certainly did not feel it to be an issue or notice
> anyone else speaking having such difficulty.
>
> Laptops are part of the landscape. Get used to it.

I think everyone is.