Ubuntu Toronto Meeting Processes

Patrick I p.killeen at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 14 20:28:38 UTC 2007

I fail to understand this obsessive hatred towards laptaps at an OS meeting,
Even Evan  feels the need to set down the rules about them regardless that
has never been to a Ubuntu Toronto meeting.

This is a meeting about an Operating System folks and not even one which any
of us has a hand in creating.  People come to the meeting for many reasons.
Some have technical issues which they need solved and for others discovery of
new aspects of the OS by seeing what other people are doing with their
system.

When a few of us were at the FOSS at YorkU a couple of months back promoting
Ubuntu,  laptops were everywhere and encouraged. Attendees were given
wireless access to the YorkU network.

The Linux Caffe is the same - free wireless - it's there it's gonna be used.
In consideration of the music, the loud fans, the 15 people at the Toronto
Wireless Society meeting 3 feet away from us at the last meeting,  talking
over open laptops was least problem facing anybody trying to get their point
across and I certainly did not feel it to be an issue or notice anyone else
speaking having such difficulty.

Laptops are part of the landscape. Get used to it.