Printers and scanners installation

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Jan 13 05:28:05 UTC 2007

Alan Pater wrote:
> OK, a bit of reading and I find that xubuntu does not have a GUI,
> exactly. It uses CUPS (common unix printing system) via
> http://localhost:631 <http://localhost:631/> to configure printers.
> Just go that page and go through the setup steps. It should see your
> printer automagically.

Yes, but before that you need to have hplip installed to provide the
proper backend drivers. During the CUPS web-based install system you're
prompted for the printer make/model and the HPLIP package adds support
for most HP printers.

BTW, since the proposed install was for a separate scanner and printer
(as opposed to a single multifunction device) the scanner needs to be
installed directly within the 'sane' scanning subsystem -- the hplip
scanner support won't work.

- Evan