peripherals

Alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Fri Jan 12 03:49:09 UTC 2007

Hi:

I've been looking at posts for a time. People complaining about
complexities. I played with Numerous things before Windows came along.
Then to Learn Windows, I put it on a Hard Drive, just by itself and
played with it, because that removed all the clutter created by other
OS's being there. With Mandrake, I did the same with that. Put it on a
Hard Drive just by it's self. Then I started to play with Ubuntu. I put
it on a 40 Gig Hard drive JUST BY ITSELF. Didn't try to bury it in
Windows, or Complicated Partitioning, because as a newbie, that would
complicate things. So "A" Drives don't get into the picture. "A" Drives
are Windows Terminology, and this is Linux. Windows Drivers could be
made use of by Linux Experts, but Newbies?  hm-mm? That is Windows, and
Linux handles stuff like this in different ways than Windows. The Kernel
has these "Modules of Drivers", and the one that gets chosen depends
upon what you attach to Linux. Sometimes you may need to attach some
hardware for which there are no Linux Drivers, then you may have to look
about the Internet to find those "Linux Drivers", I said Linux Drivers,
because Windows Drivers  were made for Windows, and NOT LINUX!

Linux to me was just as frustrating, as when I started to play with DOS.
www.cheekies.com has lots of Jokes about that kind of frustration. There
are some similarities, but lots of differences. I found getting a book
was the best solution. Look on http://www.amazon.com Search for Ubuntu.
I tried Forums, Wiki pages that I would download, but they were somehow
disjointed. A book gets all these things sorted out and logically in
order. Unless you are real rich, get the paper back version of the book,
because it can be rather high priced, as a hard cover. Only a bit of
Windows knowledge will help you get around in Ubuntu. The GUI: Gnome is
just like Windows in many respects, but the "Dos" of Linux is quite
Different. They call it the Shell, I think. Use Ubuntu every day, and it
is like learning a Language in an Immersion Course. Very quickly you
become thinking in Ubuntu, Knowledgeable in Ubuntu. In Windows you had
the "A" Drive, the "C" drive, and other drives. In Linux learn what
Drives are called in Linux. It's not A,C etc. There are some sites on
the Internet, that will help you with learning Generic Linux, with some
lessons and lots of examples:

www.active.org.au/doc/active/learning-linux.html  This is the 3rd
chapter of some larger work, that has lots of Links, to Linux Learning
areas.
linuxsurvival.com/ There are some free lessons here that you can
download a Module at a time.
www.learninglinux.com/ Lots of directions to go in to learn some Linux
Basics.

www.Ubuntu.com  and .org have Wiki Pages and you can search what you are
looking for to learn about. Wiki  is sort of a Collaborative
Encyclopedia put together by people just like you, then refined, where
needed.

Once you have "Mastered Simple", well then you can Embed Linux into
Windows, or other Operating Systems, and Configure Hardware Manually.
Ubuntu does most of this Automatically now.

I hope that at least some of this Helps. After about two years immersed
in Ubuntu, I'm still a Newbie. Lots of stuff I still don't know that
well.

So get a Hard Drive say 40 Gigs. Wipe it Clean, get the MBR erased. Put
256 Megs of Ram in your Computer, perhaps a Pentium 4 or AMD Socket A or
newer. Make that Hard Drive Primary Master. Set it up in the bios, with
Auto if need be. Put on You Flavor of Ubuntu. Then just start to use it.
Learn the software that it comes with. Need some programs, Click on
Applications Click on Add/Remove Download some titles, when you know a
bit more about how Linux Works.
I use a Trendnet TFM 560X External Modem, costing about $40.00, but
there are others now from AOL for about $16.00 -External Modems that
need no Drivers. You just connect them to a comm port, the AOL one has
USB too and set up the System/Administration/Networking Put in the
Password when asked, then type in your Internet provider details, and
when done Click on Connect and it works No windows Drivers needed in
Linux, for this kind of Modem. They work for Windows too, and don't tie
up the CPU. Printers, well on the desktop, go to
System/Administration/Printers Click on Add Printer. If it needs a
special PPD file go into the Add Printer a ways to find out what "Driver
you need!" Then go on the Internet to www.linuxprinting .com or .org to
get and download it. You will find CUPS, and other systems there too.
Plus descriptions of what these things are. After a few tries, you may
get a printer working.

In Linux, Windows Printers didn't work that good, because they were made
for Windows, Not Linux, but with some of these systems like CUPS etc,
Windows Printers can have full to some Functionality. If it is an HP
printer, well then that seems to be better supported, in Ubuntu. If you
got a Modern Printer, you could try Turboprint, the Url is given at
linuxprinting.com I think. It costs some cash, but may get you hooked up
easier, perhaps.

Alfred!