Ubuntu Toronto Meeting Processes

David J Patrick djp at linuxcaffe.ca
Fri Jan 12 01:30:04 UTC 2007

On 11/01/07, Frank McCarron <erebus59 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, laptops should be closed at some time or another.

Rather than imposing a buncha rules, why not alter the environment to make
the afore mentioned  laptopoloosa go away. What I propose we try next time
is an arrangement where most of the tables are stacked in a corner and the
chairs are a bit more audiencey. The human at the front has a table, but
only one row of seating has a table. That table is for the person who is
wikifying the minutes of the meeting, and driving the projector with related
content. Someone prepping a presentation, or demonstration, could also be at
those tables.

I expect these gatherings to get more popular, and we, as an emerging
community, have to learn to collectively crawl, before we can collectively
walk, before.. you get the idea. Each new user group will have to find it's
feet, and I, as host of such gatherings, will have to learn to offer these
groups a mutually advantageous environment.

I expect things like introduction of new members, and laptop etiquette, to
sort themselves out on the way. I see "rules" as a last resort, and favour
clear codes of conduct and clear channels to air grievances.

A bunch of ubuntu-ists sitting with their faces staring at laptops and their
> hands constantly working keyboards is hardly "welcoming". If everyone wants
> to meet that way we might as well have meetings via IRC.

Well right you are, Frank, I fear the whole "computer thing" may be
hazardous to your social skills. There, I said it ! ... no I didn't.. I
pecked it into a laptop ! but I digress..

on the other hand
for a newbie to get two hours sitting next to people who actually know how
to operate the operating system, is a major learning opportunity, and can
have significant benefits if they have their laptop open.
Every participant may be coming at it from a completely different angle.
Let's just see if we can learn to structure the event so that the various
desired outcomes are inevitable. say THAT five times fast !

just remember; this should be fun!
djp

djp at linuxcaffe.ca
www.linuxcaffe.ca