Subject line tags

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 11 22:36:14 UTC 2007

On 1/11/07, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a request to the people who run this list.
>
> Is it possible to change the setting in mailman so that the subject line
> can have [ubuntu-ca] or something like that?
> Almost all the other lists I subscribe to do this, it simplified my mail
> reading and looks less like spam.
>
> It's easy to do within the mailman admin interface.

yes it is easy to change in mailman.

But does people want this?   None of the other Ubuntu mailing lists
does that.  The argument being that all modern emails software out
there have filtering facilities, and by changing the subject line you
don't gain anything:  it is as easy to filter your emails on another
header of the list emails  (the  "to" or "list-id" headers"  for
examples)  than it is to filter on a prefix like [ubuntu-ca] that
would appear in every subject line of every email  sent to everyone on
the list,

Personally I don't see the point in changing the subject line in that
fashion, unless there is a clear consensus of the list members that it
is something people really want.  If there is, then I will do the
switch.

Daniel

--
Daniel Robitaille