Don and/or Mila Trombley donmila at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 10 18:35:42 UTC 2007

Mathieu Avoine wrote:

> Thanks for the addendum Peter. I don't know Don and/or Mila's
> background in computers but I feel they may be uncomfortable with the
> many "buzz words" and commands you used to explain the security
> matters with Linux. Since other people on the list that are very new
> to linux may be interested, I will add comments to some details.

Thank you very much for your kind thoughts (especially the ""buzz
words"")  in this regard... defending my situation. I have been involved
with computers for a lo-o-ong time, since the latter '70s., having grown
up with MS-DOS,, then advancing to Windows,(trying to learn how to make
Windows do what I want, without causing me a LOT of heart aches, losing
all of my previous work, and starting all over again! which is now a bit
of a déja vu with Linux Xubuntu  (this is the fourth time I have to
erase the OS and reload, due to my ignorance, because I did not know the
commands for (exiting) the program, thinking as in Windowss, I did
something which I cannot get out of) and, now have two desktop machines,
and have always been interested in learning how to control and/or create
my own programs, but did not '_/have the time or the "will" to do so/_'.
So, now I am trying to do just that.

> First I would suggest a (small) bit of reading in Wikipedia where the
> command "su" and "sudo" are explained in slightly simpler terms:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su_%28Unix%29
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su_%2528Unix%2529>
>
> Secondly, I think it is important to say that using a tighter security
> model in our operating system helps us protect our system (from
> potential intruders) by "layering" access to different kinds of
> resources. In other words, it dramatically "slows down hackers",
> considered that the so called hacker does not have the root password
> for your machine, in which case your computer is wide open. However,
> it does not prevent you from trashing important stuff and because of
> how Ubuntu is configured by less experienced people (including me!),
> users have the right to do "sudo" at will. In other words, it won't
> prevent you from erasing your xorg configuration file, you'll just
> have to enter  "sudo" and your own password before you do.
>
> Lastly, it is important to mention that Windows also has its own
> security model which is much less restrictive but very similar (in
> some ways) to linux: you can create administrator and user accounts,
> which allows a simple security model for less experienced users. It
> also offers advanced security options (that 99% of people don't use,
> either because they don't know it exists or it's too complicated to
> understand) that allows an administrator to put rather fine boundaries
> to prevent other users from trashing the machine.
>
> That's about it. Hope it helped you understand the differences between
> windows and linux on this aspect.
>
> Math

BTW: In entering as a "new system", I entered as "oem". When do I
switched over from this to "Super User"?