Linux lingo gook

Leslie Lewis lesliel8 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 16:27:27 UTC 2007

One of the commands I like is apropos. Say I'm trying to find commands that
have something to do with midi; I type apropos midi and get this list:

amidi (1)            - read from and write to ALSA RawMIDI ports
aplaymidi (1)        - play Standard MIDI Files
arecordmidi (1)      - record Standard MIDI Files
pmidi (1)            - A midi file player for ALSA.
timidity (1)         - MIDI-to-WAVE converter and player
TiMidity++ (1) [timidity] - MIDI-to-WAVE converter and player
timidity.cfg (5)     - configure file of TiMidity++

Then I can go to man to check them out. I find man incomprehensible
sometimes, though, and that's where a good basic book comes in handy. Search
Ubuntu on Amazon and pick up one of the most recent.

Good luck.

Leslie in Canmore