Mathieu Avoine avoinemt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 14:24:47 UTC 2007

Thanks for the addendum Peter. I don't know Don and/or Mila's background in
computers but I feel they may be uncomfortable with the many "buzz words"
and commands you used to explain the security matters with Linux. Since
other people on the list that are very new to linux may be interested, I
will add comments to some details.

First I would suggest a (small) bit of reading in Wikipedia where the
command "su" and "sudo" are explained in slightly simpler terms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su_%28Unix%29<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su_%2528Unix%2529>

Secondly, I think it is important to say that using a tighter security model
in our operating system helps us protect our system (from potential
intruders) by "layering" access to different kinds of resources. In other
words, it dramatically "slows down hackers", considered that the so called
hacker does not have the root password for your machine, in which case your
computer is wide open. However, it does not prevent you from trashing
important stuff and because of how Ubuntu is configured by less experienced
people (including me!), users have the right to do "sudo" at will. In other
words, it won't prevent you from erasing your xorg configuration file,
you'll just have to enter  "sudo" and your own password before you do.

Lastly, it is important to mention that Windows also has its own security
model which is much less restrictive but very similar (in some ways) to
linux: you can create administrator and user accounts, which allows a simple
security model for less experienced users. It also offers advanced security
options (that 99% of people don't use, either because they don't know it
exists or it's too complicated to understand) that allows an administrator
to put rather fine boundaries to prevent other users from trashing the
machine.

That's about it. Hope it helped you understand the differences between
windows and linux on this aspect.

Math