Linux lingo gook

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 12:51:31 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 11:06 -0800, Don and/or Mila Trombley wrote:
> I am having some time trying to decypher the Acronyms, Uses, and their
> meanings, used in the various postings which I received from the
> Linux-Ubuntu-Xubuntu-?untu Group...

Don, a couple of things have already been mentioned, like wikis and man;
my favourites are

 man -k theThingIwantToKnowAbout
 wiki.ubuntu.com/theThingIwantToKnowAbout
 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/theThingIwantToKnowAbout

But all of these things require context, and a book can be a great
source of context....

When I first started using Unix (waaay back in the dark ages, B.L.), I
sat with a Sobell book on my lap for three days and worked through cover
to cover. I strongly recommend this guy's work, he writes well and
covers things with good depth and breadth without overwhelming.

Check out http://www.sobell.com, he has some general Linux and
distro-specific work, you may well be able to find what you need there.

In the dark ages (B.L.), O'Reilly was tremendous, but I've heard that
their quality is less than what it once was - this is purely anecdotal,
YMMV.

pww