[ubuntu-ca] Linux lingo gook

Jim Little jlittle at orderedBits.com
Fri Jan 5 18:10:27 UTC 2007

Quoting Don and/or Mila Trombley <donmila at shaw.ca>:

> Thanks for your insight, understanding of my plight, and encouragement.
> I did realized when I started with the Linux Xubuntu, that I will have a
> lot to learn.
> I am NOT a very good student, or, experimenter in understanding what I
> am doing, but, I AM interested  in seeing this project of making this OS
> working
> (which it is) to my satisfaction,  through....and it is a very good
> excercise  in keeping my mind active [ B=0  zzz-zzz-zzz snort sss zzz]
> I find, with my memory as it is, I have to start taking notes of what  I
> am doing, and writing down explanations from time to time, for future
> use.  I *WISH*
> there  is a better way, that I  could capture  some of these
> explanations into my own lexicon of sorts! Oh well, back to the Class
> Room....

One good source for more general acronyms (actually initialisms) you will
often see people using as shorthand (like HTH: hope this helps, AFAIK: as far
as I know, IMO: in my opinion, etc.) is Wiktionary (a branch of Wikipedia):

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Abbreviations%2C_Acronyms_and_Initialisms

HTH,

Jimx