Spreading the Word During the Holiday Season

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 15:37:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2006-27-12 at 19:35 -0600, Darren Zawislak wrote:
> New Ubuntu user here. Just partitioned my hard drive and loaded the
> software today. Nice.
>
> It is very hard to turn away from my stable XP Pro environment.

Darren, I felt exactly the same way: Strongly motivated to use Linux
(primarily for reasons of unlimited access to MY data, as opposed to the
proprietary formats of the proprietary app makers) but strongly inclined
to stick with what worked (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

At first, I dual-booted my machine: Win2K and Ubuntu, about evenly split
(5GBish Win, 2.5GBish /, 2.5GBisg /home). I installed CrossOverOffice
and tried living under Linux full time, and wrote a few scripts to sync
important files, e.g., Outlook.pst, back and forth (that way, if there
were problems under Linux, I'd still have working copies under Windows).

Well, it wasn't long before I was living under Linux full time, with
less and less reason to live under Windows. And that virtually unusable
5GB Win partition was more and more of a drag. I played some games to
reduce the Win partition to the smallest possible size (OS and tools)
and use a FAT32 data partition under both OS's, but that was a poor
stopgap.

After getting comfortable with the native tools, I finally blew away the
Windows partition:

$ df
/dev/hda1              5848776   3457068   2094604  63% /
/dev/hda3              5231140   3455668   1509740  70% /home

/dev/hda2 is swap. All is well. I use OOo, saving to Windows formats
when I need to communicate with those in that world, and I still have
CrossOver, jic I find a Word or Excel doc that OOo cannot handle (most
likely reason for that would be bug-induced-workarounds in Windows apps,
e.g., the buggy, non-RTF compliant table formatting in Word).

Get comfortable, you may be here a while!

Now I have Ubuntu on my laptop and my daughter's and on the server in
the basement. If only I could convince my wife to let me replace Win98
upstairs; at least she accepts FireFox and doesn't run IE anymore....

:->

pww