Skype, automatix, and more (Re: Fesity unstable? (Re: DUAL BOOT -- 6.10/7.04 Herd 4?))

Jean-François Gagnon Laporte kioshen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 14:35:25 UTC 2007

On 2/23/07, Peter Whittaker <pwwnow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 15:48 -0500, Maurice Murphy wrote:
> > Can you run Skype with your 7.04?  When I tried it under Herd 2, I got
> > some nasty rejection messages.  How about audio/video codecs?  (I note
> > that Automatix2 is not yet available for 7.04).
>
> I've no experience with either kype or Automatix. I won't use Skype
> because it is a closed and proprietary system; I won't use Automatix
> because it does - or at least in the past has done - some very
> questionable things to force software installation. There are tales of
> Automatix completely hosing a system, and, having looked at the code, I
> can believe them.

*rubber stamp* I approve this message :)

> I've had good results under Edgy with EasyUbuntu and with the write-up
> on http://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats
>
> Under Feisty, the system has so far auto-detected whenever I've needed a
> restricted codec or software, and has prompted me to install whatever
> I've needed, after warning me that it may be illegal where I live.
>
> But then again, all of the software I have installed comes from the
> Ubuntu repos, so it's all integrated.

I do think it's also the better way to do things. If you want
proprietary codec support from the get-go you just have to install the
gstreamer-0.10 bad(-multiverse) and ugly(-multiverse) packages and
you're basically done.

> > I have run Herd 4 as a live disk and things look very promising
> > including the neat Control Panel.
>
> Different strokes for different folks, as they say: Control Center
> (misspelled, too) is my least favourite Feistyism. Under Edgy and all
> previous releases, it was much quicker - IMHO, of course - to set the
> preference I was interested in: System, Preferences, Choose. Now, it's
> System, Control Center, waaaaaiit for it! Find, choose.

I hate it too that's why you can reenable the "old way" by editing
your menu or calling up alacarte directly.

> Way back, under Windows, I always tweaked the UI to expand Control
> Panel and Printers in the Start Menu, for similar reasons: If you know
> what you are looking for, it is much easier and faster to go directly
> to it than to bring up yet another application. Sadly, I've not found
> Control Center preferences under Control Center.

See above for help :)