FIREWALL STUFF

Maurice Murphy m1625 at rogers.com
Thu Feb 22 15:34:43 UTC 2007

Many thanks, Jean-François,

I have already changed the router password, thanks to Alfred's
suggestion. Can you help me with "disable remote administration over the
WAN interface and only allow if possible local administration over
https. " I'm not too sure how to do this, sometimes us older (82)
hackers are somewhat ubuntu/linux challenged!

I will ensure that all updates are installed.

Maurice

Jean-François Gagnon Laporte wrote:
> On 2/22/07, Maurice Murphy <m1625 at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> So I guess the best I can do is to
>> hide behind my password protected router and pray for better news!
>>

> Firewalls are so overrated these days it's starting to be less funny
> to watch. Since you are behind a NAT router, the only thing left would
> be to change it's default password like Alfred suggested, disable
> remote administration over the WAN interface and only allow if
> possible local administration over https.
>
> As for your personnal workstation, I guess the only thing you are
> doing over the network is sharing files with another Windows computer
> and printing right ? If so you won't really need a firewall as the
> CUPS (printing framework) admin page is available only over localhost
> in Ubuntu and since you are behind a NAT router your smb traffic won't
> get over the internet.
>
> If you are doing something else over the network that my assumptions
> missed let me know since I could have more recommendations. Just make
> sure you are keeping up to date with the security updates and you will
> be fine.
>
> Don't get me wrong I have firewalls for our corporate servers and the
> ones I have at home. It is also mandatory to have a firewall on a
> Windows workstation because of bad design/philosophy. But for a Ubuntu
> system that has a "no ports open by default" philosophy, you have way
> more chances to be victim of phishing or from a badly configured ssh
> server (remote console connection) no matter how many layers of
> firewall you have.
>
> Regards,
>
> JF
>

>> Thanks again for the suggestions,