FIREWALL STUFF

G Mc.Pherson gmcphrsn at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 22 00:20:30 UTC 2007

Hi Maurice,

jean francois wrote:

> Your last statement "PS Perhaps I don't even need a firewall?" gave me
> the shivers.
>
> Firewall are as essential on a computer as an external door on your home.
> A kernel firewall, like in *nix, is better than a software firewall,
> like in Windows; because, there are network worms that will affect
> your network card from the get go, this why you want a firewall that
> load BEFORE the network card activate; also, It is only a matter of
> time, for a worm to boot your computer, using wake-on-lan, and install
> whatever bot they need.

> Maurice Murphy wrote:
>> I first of all tried Firestarter that comes installed with the Edgy
>> package.  Unfortunately it seems to have some sort of a bug.  It also
>> gums up my home network.  So I removed Firestarter using Synaptic and
>> loaded Gnome-Lokkit.  My question is, how do I set this up?  I see no
>> menu item.  When I try running it via alt-F2 (sudo gnome-lokkit) run, I
>> sometimes get what looks like a gnome-lokkit screen.  If I click the
>> Next button, the screen disappears and nothing else happens.
>> Suggestions anyone please?  Many thanks, Maurice
>>
>> PS Perhaps I don't even need a firewall?

I absolutely concur with everything Jean said. I myself have not just
one firewall but three. I use a dedicated PC running IPCOPS
(www.ipcops.com), then a commercial router (linksys) and finally
firestarter on my actual desktop machine. Call me paranoid, but with
each of those firewalls being based on different software/hardware I can
be pretty sure that if some random hacker finds a vulnerability in the
first one, then the second or third one will help slow or stop them.

The trick with Firestarter is, that you need to set it to restrictive
and only allow traffic that you know you'll need for outbound traffic.
For example, allow smtp(25) and pop3(110) traffic for email reception
and transmition, http/https(80/443) for web surfing. If you look at
/etc/services, you will find a complete list of port numbers a
particular service needs.

The inbound traffic window should remain empty unless you are running a
service for other machines, again as an example, http(80) if you were
running a webserver.

I've added a snapshot of what my outbound firestarter window looks like
with the services/ports I allow. My inbound window is empty as I'm not
running any service for other machines.

Hope this helps some...

Regards
Gord