6 steps to make Linux popular (an Article)

Timothy Webster tdwebste2 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 03:21:55 UTC 2007

I dissagree with every point.

1) Back only one distribution
No, but instead popularize only a few distributions.
This is already happening.

2) Make everything really simple
Windows is simple to install but hard to maintain,
because there is not much user configuration
available.
Linux is again simple to install if a standard install
is all that is required. There is a lot of
configuration flexability available.
Not everything can be a standard install, so what is
needed is a means of managing the configuration sets.
Much like ubuntu, kubuntu, etc are just configuration
sets. But it needs to be much more flexiable. Based on
my experience what is needed is a configuration
managment system that allows users to both upload and
download system and user preference configurations.
"Actually I am developing a new tool I hope to release
more details by the summer."

Use linux's strength as a social network to allow
people to share their configuration.

3) Make everything work
Managing configurations again.

4) Get a business model
Linux has a business model. It is the support and
services model. Rather than Dell droping $50 per
install, when Dell wants to improve hardware support
it joins odsl and pay for support. Similarily if Dell
wants to improve suse or ubuntu support they pay for
services and training. However
http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/022007-rtlinux.html
may result in people paying a fee per RTLinux install
for its patent license.

5) Don't call it Linux
Call it by its disto name, but we are already doing
that.

6) Get a proffesional company to market it.
SUSE, Redhat, Canonical are professional companies.

This person clearly does not know anything about
Linux.

--- Myles Braithwaite <myles at monkeyinyoursoul.com>
wrote:

http://saralk.newsvine.com/_news/2007/02/15/568686-6-steps-to-make-linux-popular