Saving from Nvu (was Ubuntu-ca)

Darren Zawislak hi.darren at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 20:26:35 UTC 2007

Alan Pater wrote:
> On 2/18/07, Darren Zawislak <hi.darren at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Alan Pater wrote:
>>
>>> On 2/17/07, *Darren Zawislak* <hi.darren at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:hi.darren at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     R. Wood wrote:
>>>     > Allegedly, on Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 09:01:53PM -0600, Darren
>>>     Zawislak stated:
>>>     >... Nvu did not like me and would not save
>>>     >> any of my files.
>>>     >
>>>     > This Nvu symptom smells more like a permissions problem than a
>>>     problem
>>>     > with Nvu.
>>>     >
>>>     I totally agree. I have only one user account, but for some reason it
>>>     would not save a file it had created. I was trying to save it to a
>>>     Linux
>>>     partition, nothing fancy.
>>>
>>> It's not the partition that has or doesn't have permissions, it's the
>>> folder. Did you try just saving to your home folder?
>>>
>> Yes. It was a fresh install from the Edgy CD, with all of the updates
>> applied. During the installation I had a huge amount of space available,
>> so I designated 80GB to a Linux partition using Gpart.
>>

> Apart from the glitch in the folder/partition setup, how do you find
> Nvu as a web page editor?
>
> Nvu is not known for it's inability to save files, it would not have
> been around so long and being used by so many people everyday if it
> was incapable of that. Is your home folder on this extra 80GB
> partition? Can you save files to folders on that partition from other
> applications?

It was interesting, but I only spent 5 min with it. I loaded it, then
called up a existing file to see what it would look like. OK, not bad
after 30 seconds. Then lets try saving it. I added a period to a
webpage, just a single character, so nothing major changed, and tried to
save it. Nope, ok, then lets do a 'save as',...... nope. I knew I had
permission errors then.

I can save other files from other programs, as the 80GB partition was my
home folder. During the setup from the live CD, I designated it such.

It is OK, as I am so new to Linux that in the past week and a half I ran
my first apt get. Nothing like the scripts I see you ladies and gents
bantering casually about. :)  It is just a learning curve as I have been
in a Windows environment since the early 90's and I can rattle off a
bunch of programs and registry tweaks like nothing, or at least know
where to find them. The really nice thing is that in the small company I
work at (less than 100 people), 5 guys use Ubuntu. I started to learn
about computers in self defense, because I was severely ripped off by a
local retailer in Winnipeg. So I know that this will take time and
patience is the key. I just have to find the patterns and get into the
rhythm of the OS.

Normally I shy away from mailing lists and such, but have found
Ubuntu.ca to be a excellent support group. Thanks everyone.