TWO RESTARTS TO MOUNT REMOVABLE DRIVES

Maurice Murphy m1625 at rogers.com
Wed Feb 14 21:41:00 UTC 2007

Hi Peter,

I would be prepared to do these two things, once I have all my critical
data backed up.  However, not today, as I have some other things I want
to do tonight.

One thing I could try thought is to copy the modified xorg.conf file
made after doing the work around procedure from the live CD to my
removable drive.  And, after backing up my current xorg.conf, pasting
the copied file to /etc/X11/  This would obviate the need to back up
everything of value first.  What do you think?

I'm even considering getting really brave and going back to a single
Ubuntu boot.  It would be great if I could use gParted to reformat the
XP partition to ext3 and then expand my current ext3 partition to use
the freed up space.  The only trouble with this approach is that I would
wipe my grub loader.  Maybe there's a work around for this too?  Perhaps
I could make a small partition to copy and hold the grub loader, if I
knew where it resided.  I keep thinking about this, and then get really
chicken as I still have need for the XP partition for Visual Basic and
Installshield purposes for programs I have written.  Of course, I could
transfer all this stuff to my wife's computer, but I would be sure to
miss some vital data in the process.  Murphy's Law, you know!

Comments on the above would be appreciated.

Maurice

--

*I'm using...
Ubuntu -- linux for human beings <http://www.ubuntu.com>