Feb 7th Ubuntu Toronto meeting suggestions

Jane Zhang jane at partnershipplatform.ca
Wed Feb 7 16:48:36 UTC 2007

Hi All,

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the meeting tonight. However, I
do want to congratulate everyone on the Microsoft Ice House Event. Perhaps
it was too "grass root" for some, but I think by just getting out there and
proudly display our passion for Linux is a huge win for us. Yay!

However, there are some lessons learned that I would like to mention here:
(disclaimer: these are my own opinions, and in no way reflects that of the
group as a whole)

1.	While it's good to have impromptu events such as operation cold
comfort, we need to plan bigger, more high profile events as well. Software
Freedom Day is in Sept, why not start planning now?
2.	At the risk of coming across as being "too Ubuntu" in our events,
why not get the rest of the Linux community involved? Let's all sign up for
the TLUG mailing list, and become more active in the greater community.
After all, it doesn't matter what distribution you are using/were using, we
are all using Free and Open Source Software are we not? Let's invite another
group to our events next time!
3.	I like being able to express my own opinions on the mailing list,
but as we have seen, things can be taken out of context and misquoted.
Instead of censoring our opinions, why not put a disclaimer of sorts as a
footer?  This is a mailing list for a users group, not a press release.
4.	We should have a CD-burning session after our meetings, this way we
will always have CDs really to be handed out. Perhaps we can store the CDs
at the Linux Caffe?
5.	What I really liked about the Ice House event was the fact everyone
concentrated on the benefits of using Linux instead of points out faults
about Microsoft. Passion is contagious. Bitterness is not. I loved how
excited some windows users got when they talked to us and I'll bet the odds
are good that they will at least try the live CD once. At the end of the
day, it's not about us against Microsoft, we want to bring awareness to the
public of other alternatives. People should have the right to choose for
themselves, let's show them the possibilities!
6.	To all the nay-sayers. Don't like what we did? Plan something! I'll
be happy to help out!

Cheers,

Jane