Ubuntu being used in Computer Lending Library project in Winnipeg

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 05:24:41 UTC 2007

On 2/4/07, Shaleem Hosein <Triniman at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hello, list members.
>
> I'm new on the list and wanted to tell you about a project that I'm involved
> in.
>
> It's the Computer Lending Library Project in Winnipeg.  Essentially, we work
> on and then hand out surplus computers to poor people.  The computers are
> donated by Computers For Schools & Libraries, who receive computers from the
> Feds, Manitoba Hydro and other organizations.
>
> The project originated in Selkirk by the Smart Partners group.  About a year
> ago, the projected began to operate in Winnipeg, out of the Aboriginal
> Centre building and with the cooperation of their tennant, CAHRD, the Centre
> for Aboriginal Human Resources Development.
>
> The computers were handed out with the default installation of Windows 2000,
> but no service packs, anti-virus or spyware detection software.  Not
> surprisingly, many of the computers ended up being returned due to malware
> and spyware problems.
>
> In the fall of 2006, Smart Partners asked the CIPS Winnipeg President if
> CIPS could help out.  CIPS decided to ask their student members if they
> wanted to get involved.  At the same time, I, as both a member of CIPS and
> The Manitoba Open Source Group (an advocacy group), thought that the project
> could benefit from installing open source software and also Ubuntu Linux.
>
> The participants from the TMOSG came up with a software load for the Windows
> computers comprised of open source programs.  We are currently working on an
> image for Ubuntu Linux, which will speed up the production of the computers.
> We are hoping to see how many recipients actually return Ubuntu computers
> due to problems with malware and viruses.  The students are excited to work
> with Linux and many of them have installed it already.  They realize that
> they stand to learn new skills that others who hope to enter the IT sector
> do not necessarily have.
>
> The recipients of the free computers have to attend a 40-hour course on
> software, which has been sponsored by Microsoft.  We're hoping to have a few
> hours of Ubuntu training thrown in.  Also, when the users show up to pick up
> their computers, we hope to demonstrate Ubuntu to them.  We're going to put
> the PDF Desktop User Guide for Ubuntu 6.06 on the desktop.  Having some
> Ubuntu training added will not be a problem, as it turns out.  They will
> also be taught about saving documents with MS extentions, in the event that
> they have to or wish to do so.
>
> Should the Computer Lending Library program become successful, it may be
> looked at as a pilot project for the rest of Canada.  That potentially means
> that there could be a lot more Ubuntu computers out there and this has me
> encouraged.  I've sent some self-addressed, pre-paid envelopes for free
> Ubuntu stickers to afix to each Ubuntu computer.
>
> The CLL Project website is
> http://www.computerlendinglibrary.ca/, if anyone is
> [...]

Shaleem,

Very cool story. Welcome to Ubuntu Canada. I cannot help you with
funding, but I might know somebody who could. You should talk with
Scott Balneaves. He works on LTSP at Legal Aid Manitoba. I have cc'ed
him (if he isnt on the mailing list).

As for the suggestion of ubuntu.com/mystory - go for it. Your kind of
story is exactly the kind that they need.

Cheers,

Corey
Leader, Ubuntu Canada