Operation Cold Comfort

Dave Sullivan dave at dave-sullivan.com
Fri Feb 2 02:52:01 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 February 2007 21:25, David J Patrick wrote:
> Hello ubuntuers !
> Looks like we're really going to do this thing.
> I have been burning and scribbling on CDs, for a while, and have
> everything it takes to blow up Big Tux.
> I have sent something off to CTVs Toronto news desk, other press
> releases and pamphlets are in the works an I'm getting really pumped !
> This afternoon linuxcaffe had a little visit from ... wait for it...
> Microsoft minions !
> Yes they were ! The were wearing branded garb, right down to the socks !
> The came in to make a plea !
> "Please, please don't come to destroy our ice house"
> they implored
> "We just want to be friends ! come on down, for sure, but don't wreak
> anything!" I nearly fell down laughing, "We're all about freedom and
> interoperability" I said "collaboration, not
> knocking things down" I assured them that nothing like that was in the
> works and they had nothing to worry about. I'm not sure they believed
> me. . And then they were gone.
>
> nothing to worry about ?
> maybe the software.
>
> So they know were coming.. maybe we can ask them for an extension cord ;-)
>
> we still need;
> -to get the word out to any tech press (web, print, TV) that we can think
> of (what are your favorite local sources of tech news ?)
> -happy linux greeters to give out stuff and to try to answer questions.
>      (if you have a linux t-shirt, wear it outside your coat)
> -stuff to give out; CDs and info sheets.
> -one REALLY GOOD laptop, minimum, with decent batteries and beryl
> running beautifully
>       (really good laptop owners, you know who you are)
> -another car battery type thing, charged and ready ?
>      (this is asking a lot, I know)

we've got:
- press releases in the works and being sent out
- pamphlets/info sheets to hand out to people
http://64.142.120.49/ubuntu-letter-toronto.pdf
- a bunch of laptops and people (please, SOMEONE get beryl!)

also: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanadianTeam/Toronto/OperationColdComfort

--
Dave Sullivan
dave at dave-sullivan.com