How do I create a backup image of my server?

Craig Box craig at dubculture.co.nz
Mon Dec 10 14:20:34 UTC 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 4:42 AM, Tom Mckay <tom.mckay1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> man you guys call yourselves linux users....
> to back up a partition to an external hard drive...
>
> sudo cat /dev/sda1 | /media/disk1/backup.img
>
> then to restore the backup... boot a live cd and mount the external
> drive. then run
>
> sudo cat /media/disk1/backup.img | /dev/sda1

What if your drive has a fault, and that file gets corrupted?  You've now
lost your entire backup, rather than just the file that contains the bad
sector.
What if you want to restore the backup to a different sized drive?
What if you want to easily recover one file?  A directory?  N directories?
[1]

There is a time and a place for a low-level approach, but it's not always
the correct answer.

Craig

[1] You could mount the image, but how long will it take vs. browsing into
it and copying it, or restoring a file from an indexed backup?