Scanner

Patrick optomatic at rogers.com
Sun Dec 9 22:58:44 UTC 2007

Hi William

I don't have an answer but I am having the same sort of trouble. Is your error message something like this:

Failed to open device 'snapscan:libusb:005:002";
Invalid argument

This apparently is a usb bug in the kernel, introduced after Edgy.

If you google:

Failed to open device 'snapscan:libusb

You will get many results.

I read on an Ubuntu help page that we are supposed to install scanbutton
as a workaround.

Now I can't find the link. It did not work for me.

If you have not done so, why not install:
sane-utils

You can run these commands just to make sure it's being found and so on:

$ sane-find-scanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0122 [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:005:002

$ scanimage -L
device `snapscan:libusb:005:002' is a EPSON EPSON Scanner flatbed scanner

I posted to the sane list about this on Friday. I am still waiting to
hear back. My problem may not only be Kernel oriented. Under Edgy my
scanner only worked some of the time. I used it on a dual boot box. If
it was not re-initialized under it's native software in Windoze every so
often I found i would get this error too.

I wish I had more to offer. I will let you know if I hear back from the
sane list-Patrick