promotion ideas

Gordon Dey gordon.dey at happydeys.ca
Thu Aug 30 01:58:20 UTC 2007

I was looking for something that would be really easy for someone other than me
to operate, like an icon on the desktop that could be clicked and the slideshow
  would start. I got part way there by preloading the gwenview icon with the
directory and title "slideshow", and of course, the button "slideshow" is right
front and center of gwenview. User has to take the final steps and first click
"slideshow" icon and then "sliceshow" button.

Your suggstion, I think, is to take the time to prepare a kpresenter or or
ooimpress document and put it that somewhere in the squashed fs? Wouldn't it
up-to double the amount of space required, as the pictures would be both in a
DVD-able directory and in the presentation with it's meta-data? Thinking of the
tool, could you encode some sort of auto-flip with a delay mode? We wanted to
be able to walk away, yet be able to slow it down for discussion purposes, so a
per-page embedded delay would be tedious. But then again, I'm not really
familiar with either tool...

All this aside, sounds like another way to "skin a cat". Understand it that
way. But I'll give it a try next slide show I have to give, probably late
September.

Heads up: the "desktop" is created out of whole-cloth, i.e. it doesn't exist in
the squashed fs. Installation creates a home directory on the ram fs, then one
of the many bottom end scripts does an adduser ubuntu, and then ubiquity is
used to fill in the contents of the directory. Another piece of script then
creates links for the Examples and Install icons. It's quite neat. But tedious
to test.