Next release

Joel Goguen jtgoguen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 00:50:33 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-26-08 at 13:04 -0700, Donald &/or Mila Trombley wrote:
> Joel Goguen wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-24-08 at 19:56 -0300, Richard Seguin wrote:
> >
> > > I love it!!!!!  How many people do you have in your group? We are at a
> > > slight disadvantage out here in the eastern provinces as our population
> > > is a lot less and spread out more...  I have thought of designing
> > > systems based on compatibility... I have also thought of the black box
> > > idea where you
> > > push the power button and up comes a screen... No configuration and
> > > really no flexibility (great for people who only want something for web
> > > surfing and email and such)... It would be money in our pockets...  The
> > > geographical area around here though makes it so that idea is a bit hard.
> > >
> > > I guess it goes back to the post I made a few minutes ago...  WHY should
> > > people use Ubuntu...  any semi-geek knows that Windows and Linux are
> > > competitors... For my own efforts anyway I want to take that out of the
> > > equation...
> > >

> > This is close to what I keep coming back to.  Our culture is so in love
> > with money that when we see something totally for free, the immediate
> > reaction is almost invariably "something _must_ be wrong with it".  If
> > you say that nothing is wrong with it, or if you say that nothing is
> > wrong but... then you'll turn people off.  If you agree with them, it
> > doesn't matter what you say after that.
> >
> > The other curse (or a blessing depending on your point of view) is
> > choice.  People, contrary to what most F/OSS advocates say, do not
> > always want lots of choices.  Some of us (like me) prefer to have lots
> > of choices, but other people (like one friend of mine) want to have just
> > one way of doing it that just works.
> >
> > Less technically literate people also want things to stay familiar.
> > That's a big reason why a lot of people are staying away from Vista -
> > it's not familiar to them.  I have no problem adapting to different
> > interfaces on different systems (but going from Gnome to KDE to FVWM can
> > throw me for a loop :)) but the biggest complaint I get from people is
> > that it's not familiar.
> >
> > Finally, people don't like the command line.  I work for a university IT
> > help desk, and all the time people call in asking for help and decide
> > they would rather deal with their problem until one of us can do all
> > that "DOS stuff" for them.  There's nothing they can click on to do the
> > job, so it must be too hard for them.
> >
> > Anyway, I know a lot of that is off topic, but after that first
> > paragraph I needed to say it.  At the very least, it's good things to
> > keep in mind when telling people about Ubuntu, or Linux in general.
> >

> Personally, I do like the command-line way of accessing the
> information or programs which I wish to access...
> I used to be a DOS driver ;-) O:-) ! It gave me a lot of "control" in
> how I used the OS....But, unfortunately, I
> became "lazy" in that I now am used to using the "Icon" way (Point &
> click (shoot)) to access the programs...
> [...]
This is pretty much what happened to most people :)  Remember back in
the day when you booted into DOS and you started Windows if you wanted
to by typing a command?  A lot of games up until Windows 98 (at least
the ones I played) required you to reboot in DOS mode and type a command
to get going.  Before Windows was common place, most people could use
the command line, but now it's the realm of "computer geeks".

--
Joel Goguen
http://jgoguen.net/