Next release

Donald &/or Mila Trombley donmila at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 26 20:04:47 UTC 2007

Joel Goguen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-24-08 at 19:56 -0300, Richard Seguin wrote:
>
>> I love it!!!!!  How many people do you have in your group? We are at a
>> slight disadvantage out here in the eastern provinces as our population
>> is a lot less and spread out more...  I have thought of designing
>> systems based on compatibility... I have also thought of the black box
>> idea where you
>> push the power button and up comes a screen... No configuration and
>> really no flexibility (great for people who only want something for web
>> surfing and email and such)... It would be money in our pockets...  The
>> geographical area around here though makes it so that idea is a bit hard.
>>
>> I guess it goes back to the post I made a few minutes ago...  WHY should
>> people use Ubuntu...  any semi-geek knows that Windows and Linux are
>> competitors... For my own efforts anyway I want to take that out of the
>> equation...
>>

> This is close to what I keep coming back to.  Our culture is so in love
> with money that when we see something totally for free, the immediate
> reaction is almost invariably "something _must_ be wrong with it".  If
> you say that nothing is wrong with it, or if you say that nothing is
> wrong but... then you'll turn people off.  If you agree with them, it
> doesn't matter what you say after that.
>
> The other curse (or a blessing depending on your point of view) is
> choice.  People, contrary to what most F/OSS advocates say, do not
> always want lots of choices.  Some of us (like me) prefer to have lots
> of choices, but other people (like one friend of mine) want to have just
> one way of doing it that just works.
>
> Less technically literate people also want things to stay familiar.
> That's a big reason why a lot of people are staying away from Vista -
> it's not familiar to them.  I have no problem adapting to different
> interfaces on different systems (but going from Gnome to KDE to FVWM can
> throw me for a loop :)) but the biggest complaint I get from people is
> that it's not familiar.
>
> Finally, people don't like the command line.  I work for a university IT
> help desk, and all the time people call in asking for help and decide
> they would rather deal with their problem until one of us can do all
> that "DOS stuff" for them.  There's nothing they can click on to do the
> job, so it must be too hard for them.
>
> Anyway, I know a lot of that is off topic, but after that first
> paragraph I needed to say it.  At the very least, it's good things to
> keep in mind when telling people about Ubuntu, or Linux in general.

Personally, I do like the command-line way of accessing the information
or programs which I wish to access...
I used to be a DOS driver ;-) O:-) ! It gave me a lot of "control" in
how I used the OS....But, unfortunately, I
became "lazy" in that I now am used to using the "Icon" way (Point &
click (shoot)) to access the programs...
Linux for now is still a largely unfamiliar territiory for me, although
I am slowly getting used to its idiosyncrasies.
BTW: How do I access the various command line features, which I wish to
run (so far, I have been able to
most of them via "Point and Shoot" in XWindows format.....