Introducing myself to the list, and a first question

Les Wright leslie.wright at alumni.uwo.ca
Mon Aug 20 02:13:05 UTC 2007

Thanks Dave, I will try that when I get time this week.

I am a bit delirious with the flu right now so my OP is riddled with
typos. The correct desired resolution of my monitor is 1280x1024, not
1280x1084 as I wrote the second time.. I know from running it with
Windows the 5:4 aspect ratio is indeed the crispest. Everything looks
freakishly huge at 1024x768 or less. Ubuntu looks so good on the  Mac,
and the VMware virtual drivers seem to have no difficulty coping with
resizing the host window, etc. It can't be impossible to get my monitor
to work!

In my xorg.conf file there are several listings of resolutions ranging
from 2 to 24 bits, so something akin to that. Should I add
"1280x1024_60" to all of them?

many thanks,

Les