OH DEAR

Maurice Murphy m1625 at rogers.com
Sun Apr 29 20:42:27 UTC 2007

Hi Jean-François,

Well, I'm back again with Feisty and am generally speaking very happy
(my only other problem is my inability to install my webcam).  I tried
your first possible solution to my removable disk problem without
success.  I am reluctant to try your second solution for a couple of
reasons: first as a newbie, I might muck things up and be unable to
recover, more importantly, however, I don't think I'm getting to the
root of the matter.

Why would Feisty complain that my removable drive needs to be checked?
I have run it under Windows XP and given it a chkdsk, which it passes
with flying colours.  In Ubuntu I have run ntfsfix on it and, again, all
appears well, with lots of okays and a final statement of success.

Yet this drive originally worked just fine under Edgy (not so now)
without the need to 'force' mount it.  Can you think of any way that I
could get around this?  My original line in fstab was:

/dev/sdb5 /media/windows ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8

and now is:

/dev/sdb5 /media/windows ntfs-3g defaults,force 0 0

The only thing I can think of doing is to reformat the removable drive,
but since it contains ALL my valuable backup data, you can understand
that I am most reluctant to do this, with the inherent need of copying
everything to another ntfs drive, reformatting and then copying
everything back again -- not a trivial task!  But I will do this as a
last resort, if necessary.  What do you think?  I wouldn't blame you if
something went wrong!

Or do you think I should report this as a bug?  I can live with it, as I
rarely turn off this computer, so it's no big deal :-)

Many thanks for your help and advice,

Maurice

--
I use Ubuntu 7.04...