OH DEAR

Jean-François Gagnon Laporte kioshen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 16:18:19 UTC 2007

Hi Maurice,

On 4/27/07, Maurice Murphy <m1625 at rogers.com> wrote:
> Well, I gave Feisty a real good try!  Unfortunately, it didn't like my
> HP removable drive in read/write mode.  Every time I did a reboot, it
> changed the address of this drive from /dev/sdb5 to /dev/sdc5 and vice
> versa requiring me to constantly change fstab.  As there seemed to be
> little other difference for me between Edgy and Feisty, I reinstalled
> the latter.
I can suggest two options for fixing this behavior that I would try in
order of complexity :

 1 - Write your fstab so that it uses the uuid of the drive instead of
the device node. They are available here : ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

 2 - You could write an udev rule that would freeze your device name
to an arbitrary name of your choosing like "/dev/hpdrive". Here's a
link for a quick and well written howto by dsd :
http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

However, I find it odd that hal-dev-manager in gnome (I don't remember
the exact name of the daemon though) doesn't automatically mount your
removable drive without hacking your fstab.

Hope this helps

> Everything is working fine again, except I've had no success in
> installing my Logitech Quickcam Messenger webcam either with Feisty or
> Edgy.  I've tried about everything I can find, but to no avail.  If
> anyone has a brilliant idea for success on this front, it would be most
> appreciated.  Boy that would make me truly happy!  :-)  :-)  :-)

You will have more success of eventually making your webcam work by
using feisty than edgy since it has a newer kernel. As far as making
it work I really don't have any clue for you sorry.

Regards,

Jean-Francois