Kubuntu 7.04 and restricted-modules

Tee Jay Rosene teejayrosene at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 14:56:41 UTC 2007

Okay, so for 7.04 I thought I'd try something new: instead of going with
Ubuntu this time around, I thought I'd give Kubuntu 7.04 a try and do a
fresh install. Things are running fine, except for one thing: the restricted
modules. I'm new to the KDE environment, so maybe (probably) it's something
on my end that's messing up—namely me.
Anyway, what I usually do, and what I tried on Kubuntu, is get the
Code:

restricted-modules

for 386 machines from Synaptic; usually when I install these, I just have to
do a reboot and my wireless card/laptop display, etcetera all work properly.
On Kubuntu, however, I had to install Synaptic first, and then I proceeded
to install the modules as usual. Everything was working fine, the
restricted-modules were installed and I was completely satisfied. I
rebooted, and my machine was running optimally.
Until I rebooted again.
It seems that rebooting Kubuntu again made those restricted drivers
disappear somehow, and I'm left without wireless internet and certain other
hardware functions I get when these modules are installed.
There must be a solution to this dilemma? I'd like to reiterate again that I
was able to get all hardware working properly—the only problem is that this
ability disappears when I reboot.
Thanks in advance.