Ubuntu on new hard drive

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 01:57:31 UTC 2007

On 4/18/07, Laurie Bell <lveeb at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I put a new hard drive in a computer and tried to load ubuntu 6.06,but nothing > happened. I'm fairly new to computers.Simple answers,nothing too technical >please
>  Do you have to have an existing program in computer to load ubuntu?

Is this the only hard drive in the machine?

You put an Ubuntu CD in your CD drive, and it did not boot from the CD?

If the answer to both of these questions is "Yes", then you probably
need to change the boot order in your BIOS - the machine is trying to
boot from the (empty) hard drive, failing, and ignoring the CD drive
it should be starting the Ubuntu CD from.

How you get into your BIOS depends on who made your computer. When you
first start the machine up, watch the initial startup screens closely.
At some point, it should say something like "To access setup, press
<some key>".

Hit that key quickly, or restart and hold that key down to get into the BIOS.

On my current computer, I hold ESC to get into the BIOS; some setups
use F1, Delete, or other keys.

Once you're into your BIOS, look for a "Boot Order" setting, make sure
"CD Drive" or "Optical Drive" is first, then "Hard Drive". Then your
machine should boot from the Ubuntu Desktop CD and you can start the
installation.

Hope this helps,

Brian
ubuntu-ca.org