Core 2 Duo's are not 32bit

G Mc.Pherson gamcpherson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 15:05:27 UTC 2007

Hi Matt,

Matt Price wrote:

> gaah!  sorry, i thought the core2duo was just a minor update of the
> coreduo.  sorry sorry!
> as far as i know the only significant issue left with 64-bit ubuntu is
> flash (maybe there's a java issue too?).  do you know of something else?

No problem, having an Acer 5672 with the core duo and an Apple Macbook
with the Core2Duo, both are sweet processors.

I'm using Ubuntu (feisty) 64bit on the Macbook, and to be perfectly
honest the only things that I'm personally having a problem with is
wireless, but that's specific to the Macbook. In 64bit mode, I can't use
ndiswrapper to get wireless working and the current native driver is
very very alpha. With the 32bit version, I was able to use ndiswrapper
to get wireless working perfectly. The only other things that I'm aware
of that can be a problem is Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator) doesn't work
or is very difficult to get working (not that I use Wine) and Video
codec's may also be a problem, until Automatix comes out with a 64bit
version for Feisty. There is a version of Automatix64 for Edgy but I've
never used it. I should note that Feisty's gstreamer support handles all
the video/audio that I've thrown at it so far.

Regards,
Gord