Older Computer - Compaq Deskpro

Alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Tue Apr 10 13:32:18 UTC 2007

Hi:

I have a Compaq Deskpro 350 Mhz slot one Intel CPU, with 256 MB Ram, and
one Hard drive of 3.2 - 13 Gigabytes. 3.2 Giga Bytes if it will work,
but 13 if it needs more space. I tried putting on Xbuntu, but in the
last few seconds of the Install, it hangs.

I tried numerous other Linux Distributions, and they all hang in the
last few seconds of the Install. Only Damn Small Linux (DSL) worked, but
then there were a few other problems. I'd like to use Xbuntu. Anyone out
there in Ubuntu Land have experiences with Compaq Deskpro?

There are limited Bios Options, but I can Boot from a DVD Drive. The
Sound Chip Set is unsupported , but I put a Sound Blaster card in, and
DSL saw it.

This is being fixed up for a Handicapped Person.

Thank you in Advance

Alfred!