[Fwd: FEISTY RESTARTS ALL ON ITS OWN!]

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 12:22:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-04 at 09:33 -0400, Maurice Murphy wrote:
> I assume that, provided we keep up with the updates, 7.04 Beta will
> actually become 7.04 final without any further action being required.
> Is my assumption correct?

I was hoping Corey would offer his $0.02 on this, but I'll jump in in
the interim (then Corey can correct whatever misinformation I've
provided :->).

My understanding is that once you have the beta, regular system updates
will be enough to get you to final. I can find nothing in the wiki to
contradict this, though I can find nothing to support it directly,
either.

Consider this a guesstimate based on "good release practices": We
wouldn't announce a public beta and invite the curious and motivated to
install it, unless we were pretty sure they wouldn't have to install all
over again, right? Right? Bueller?

:->

Personally, I may reinstall once release is out, but I've been running
Feisty since Herd1 (or maybe earlier, I forget - gotta love those daily
builds), and I don't know that there isn't, uh, cruft left behind from
those early, early versions. So reinstalling is a good way to ensure
that a) my system is clean, b) the final installs cleanly on my old
hardware, and c) all of the bugs previously encountered in the installer
have been addressed in the final.

My daughter's laptop was upgraded round about the beta, so it will
probably be left alone, at least until Gallivanting Gazelle Beta comes
along.

pww