Networking for Nigeria

David J Patrick davidjpatrick at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 31 04:25:08 UTC 2006

We've been prepping  a package for school administrators, as the
result of a local teachers exchange program. For background to the
story, see http://www.linuxcaffe.ca/project/indi/nigeria .

So we have a nice bunch of gear, interconnecting bits, some software
installed and we're ready to set it up, buff it up and ship it out.
Wanna help ?

We'll be upgrading edubuntu (to Edgy) on the centrino laptop, and
installing lightweight distros, with thin client capability. then
we'll test the base set-up, add-in tailored extras, coming up with a
maintenance scheme and packaging the whole deal up. We'll undoubtedly
have to obtain a few more bits, to ensure the the system is turn-key.
We'll collect up anything else that might be useful there (that is
obsolete here) and throw in a couple of good books, from the
linuxcaffe reference heap. We'll photograph the process and I'll write
a nice article for Newsforge.

Let's pick an evening for the first phase (target software installs
all around) and initial testing of LTSP host functionality. Should we
make it a focus of a Toronto liinux meet-up ? or an ubuntu-toronto
evening ? or both ?  Who's in ?
djp

djp at linuxcaffe.ca
www.linuxcaffe.ca