Printers?

Alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Thu Nov 30 13:10:20 UTC 2006

Hi:

I tried to install a few different Printers on Ubuntu Linux 6.06.1. I
get them secondhand, and fix them up, enough that they start to work
again. Linuxprinting.org has some drivers for printers that seems to
make them work OK in Black and White, using the PPD File. Looking over
the script of the PPD file, there does not seem to be in there much
about Colour. A Canon S750 Printer, I fixed up, works pretty good in
Black and White, but in Colour the colours are off quite a bit. Linux
printing.org is using a BJC-240 Driver for the Canon S750, it seems. I
don't know that much about the scripts, but I figure if I could
experiment now and then making some changes to the script, and then
seeing what the output is like, I might be able to tailor a driver for
the S750 that does not get the colours all wrong. I noticed in Simply
Mepis 6 -DVD Edition that they have a Menu / Dialogue box to be able to
Configure the PPD file in such a way as to be able to make it a bit
better for the printer that you may be using. The PPD file does not seem
to work with the colours. So perhaps The Postscript file or the program
that makes the Postscript file needs a bit of a tweek. I'm not sure.
Does anyone out there, know about these sorts of things?

Alfred!