I give up

R. Wood au516 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Nov 23 01:16:48 UTC 2006

Allegedly, on Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 04:53:45PM -0800, Bob stated:
> Someone wrote:
> > A .deb file is an archive that has information on how to install it
> > and how to remove it (I understand that this is a gross
> > simplification).
> >
> > sudo dpkg -i <name of the package> (in the dir that it is in).
> >
> > or (in userspace) right click the .deb package in in Konqueror and
> > select install from the Kubuntu package menu
> >
> > Just a note, for regular packages downloaded from the repos, 'sudo
> > apt-get install <package name>' will install and configure the
> > package. You can also use package management tools (like synaptic or
> > adept or aptitude (for the commandline).
> >
> > The issue that you are facing is that the w32codec.deb package can
> > not be available on ubuntu repos due to licencing issues.
>
> I had no trouble getting the file and there must be an installer
> attached because the whole procedure ended with the .deb package
> placed in the /home folder and all of the files, 130 of them, from the
> package placed in /user/lib/win32. So it looks like that is, in fact,
> the installation procedure.
>
> Bob Barr

You still haven't clarified the method you used to 'install'.  Frankly
IMHO you're going to have to get much more specific and provide details
to the list, or no one will be able to help you make progress :-/

To get good answers, you have to ask good questions :-)

Have Fun with GNU/Linux,
Raymond
--
"Be Nice, or Leave - By Order of the Management"
(Sign above door, Black Sheep Inn, Wakefield)