how to get libdvdcss and w32codecs through apt

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Thu Nov 16 21:10:08 UTC 2006

Etienne Goyer wrote:
> I found out that installing gstreamer-plugins-bad and
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly was all I needed to be able to read/play most
> media on the intarweb.  Also, VLC is a media player that read pretty
> much everything.

   VLC is the player I use.  I bought my first DVD's back in 2001 in
order to respond to that round of the Copyright consultation
http://www.flora.ca/copyright-2001-cmpda-reply.shtml .  I only own 2 CSS
encoded DVD's, but my wife and I have borrowed DVD's from the Ottawa
Public Library and watched them using VLC many times.

Copyright joke:  The above document is available on Industry Canada's
Strategis.  It documents how to download VLC and some other software in
order to circumvent the "DRM" on DVD movies.  If Canada passes a DMCA
like law, and the courts interpret the law the same way the USA has,
Strategis will be breaking the law the same way that 2600 Magazine did.
  http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/MPAA_DVD_cases/

   It is fun Hacking the Government :-)

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"