Difference Between Automatix and EasyUbuntu (was Re: Newbie Wurkshop)

Andrew Hunter andy.hunter at rogers.com
Tue Nov 14 17:27:47 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:37, Corey Burger wrote:
> On 11/13/06, rbil <rbil at shaw.ca> wrote:

> > > Very cool. Glad to see this kind of thing take off. However, I do I
> > > have one minor reservation: If you are going to use a script, consider
> > > using EasyUbuntu over Automatix, as Automatix has the habit of
> > > breaking things. A lot of the upgrade headaches from Dapper to Edgy
> > > were caused by people using Automatix and such things.
> > >
> > >From what I've found out, IRC Ops have been banning people** who even
> >
> > mention the word "Automatix" within the #ubuntu IRC channel and this was
> > well before anyone was even attempting to upgrade to Edgy! I don't know
> > what it is about "Automatix" that has some of you guys in a knot? I know
> > many many people that use "Automatix" without any problems whatsoever
> > and only find it a blessing.
> >
> > >From the FAQ at Automatix's website:
> >
> > Is Automatix safe ? Folks in #ubuntu on IRC keep telling me it isn't
> >       * Yes it is perfectly safe. Thousands of users worldwide use
> >         Automatix every day without any issues.
> >
> > I think there are more serious problems with the upgrade to Edgy
> > facility and solutions could probably be found if something like
> > "Automatix" wasn't the scapegoat for these problems.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Rene
>
> Rene,
>
> Please, lets keep seperate the issue of IRC and Automatix. The larger
> issue at hand is actually third party repos. If creators of those
> repos are not careful, and most of them are not, they can easily mess
> up a system when it tries to upgrade to the next version of Ubuntu.
> For Feisty the dist-upgrader will try and work around some of these
> situations, but not all of them can be done so. So please, consider
> very wisely when you tell people to use any third party stuff. I say
> use EasyUbuntu because of their devs are also MOTUs and thus have an
> inside view of some of the breakage these third party repos have done/
>
> Corey

Does EasyUbuntu use 3rd party repos, or does it just automate the process of
installing things like codecs? If it just uses the Ubuntu repos, I would
agree that is it would be safer in the long term (upgrades and all).

--
"First, God created idiots. But that was just for practise, then he made
school boards."